Do I blog too often?

by admin on April 30, 2006

in Marketing

Seth Godin, one of the gods of blog marketing has this very thoughtful piece about frequency of posting. He posits that:

By writing too much, too often, we’re trouncing on the attention of the commons…

…I think the answer is subtle and simple: over time, as blogs reach the mass market, the number of new readers coming in is going to go down, and the percentage of loyal readers will increase. The loyal readers are going to matter more.

Blogs with restraint, selectivity, cogency and brevity (okay, that’s a long way of saying “making every word count”) will use attention more efficiently and ought to win.

Seth makes a great point. From my perspective I’m conflicted. On the one hand I know my audience is comparatively tiny and so I need to work hard to keep their attention. But I want the profession to move on. There is so much happening that’s important I want to capture it all and pass that on. Posts I just know are juicy sometimes flop. Did I do anything wrong? Did I fluff it? I don’t know unless someone tells me – or ignores me.

I’m learning out here and the lessons are sometimes tough. Some of the emails and phone conversations have rocked me at times.

I think there is so much to gain from the new technologies which are inspiring new thinking and new business models. If I blog too much then OK – I’ll take that on the chin.

Technorati Tags: ,

Manoj Ranaweera April 30, 2006 at 9:36 am

Yesterday, I published the 16th blog article. 16 in 20 days. The intention was to just speak about EIPP, so the whole blogsite has focus. But in the process, I have started to blog about issues that are personally and commercially important to me and ebdex. Should I revert to my original thinking or should continue as it is evolving? Perhaps, I will let it run the way as it is now for another month, and decide the future focus! But I have no intention of doing more than one article per day in average.

Keep up the good works Dennis..

Tom Raftery April 30, 2006 at 11:06 am

This is always a thorny one Dennis.

I have reduced the frequency of my postings in the past 6 months (not for any strategic reasons – it is just that I have been spending more time on creating content for podleaders.com!) but at the same time my readership has increased during this time!

I like to think it is because the posts I put up are now more considered and not that it is taking people longer to find out what a twit I really am!!!

In your own case, if a post isn't time sensitive, why not hold back on posting it for a day or two – leave it as a draft. Re-visit it a couple of times and see if you can add anything to it over the course of one or two days.

If you find this process means you are significantly re-writing your posts, it may be worth keeping on this process. If you aren't adding much to your posts, then maybe the procedure you have in place now is what works for you.

Ric April 30, 2006 at 1:23 pm

Jack Yan (see this post: http://www.jackyan.com/blog/2006/04/this-time-its…
pointed out the most "coCommented" blogs – and both you and he feature in the lists. I also notice plenty of comments that aren't coComments, so maybe that's your answer: when we stop talking back maybe you're talking too much?

Dennis Howlett April 30, 2006 at 8:13 pm

Interesting take Tom – I've been wavering on this recently – partly because it's bloody hard work and because one colleague said I was displaying symptoms of being on a treadmill.

Then along comes a bunch of really interesting things.

One thing I am reigning back is blogging 'ideas' where I make connections that suggest something new to me. I've found I'm giving too much away.

Tom Raftery April 30, 2006 at 11:21 pm

Hi Dennis,

this is a tricky one too – if you post your ideas, you are potentially giving away the crown jewels (so to speak) – why would anyone hire you when they can read all about it on your blog?

On the other hand, don't post your ideas, someone else does, and they end up being contracted to do work you should have landed.

Personally, I say post as many of your ideas as you can – it hasn't hurt Seth Godin, for example! It can only serve to increase your perceived wisdom.

Dennis Howlett April 30, 2006 at 11:52 pm

There's one thing I know about ideas as they relate to services – they're meaningless unelss they're put into action, The person most likely to succeed is the one who came up with the idea in the first place. Usually.

Perceived wisdom – I love that.

Tom Raftery May 1, 2006 at 9:32 am

Dennis,

I hope you don't take the perceived wisdom comment the wrong way.

I always believe that consultants (myself included) are selling perceived wisdom – because, while we may realise how wise we are – we need to convince potential clients of our wisdom – it is their perception of our wisdom (or lack of) which decides on whether the sale is closed or not.

James Governor May 9, 2006 at 4:42 pm

i think you may dennis. whenever i get to my aggegator after a day or so away i get to you – and i am like- oh crap, i have a lot to do! rather than saying – aha i wonder what dennis is saying…